Yes you really did read that correctly, this is a recipe for doughnuts made with red wine!
The perfect snack for sophisticated ladies and I quite like them too! Haha!
For the doughnuts
- 75 g Self-Raising Four
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 20 ml Rapeseed Oil
- 60 ml Red Wine
- 2 x Eggs
For the sugar coating
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 30 g Butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C / 140°Fan / Gas 3.
- Grease a doughnut tin thoroughly.
- Place the flour & sugar into a mixing bowl and stir together.
- In a separate jug, place the beaten eggs, oil & wine whisk together.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & mix thoroughly.
- Add a few drops of red or burgundy gel food colouring to enhance the red wine colour and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, transfer the mixture back into the jug and carefully pour it into the tin, making sure each of the cups is filled to around ¾ full.
- Bake for aprox 10 minutes until firm, but springy to the touch.
- Whilst the doughnuts are in the oven, melt the butter in a cup or small bowl and place the sugar for the coating in a bowl.
- As soon as the doughnuts come out of the oven, carefully loosen them from the tin using a spoon but leave them in there.
- Using a pastry brush, brush all of the doughnuts with the melted butter and then flip them over and do the same to the other side of them.
- Finally take each one of the doughnuts and toss them around in the bowl of sugar until they are completely covered.
- They can then either be served straight away whilst still hot or be left to cool and served cold.
Made this recipe? Don't forget to tag me!@itssarahsibley I love to see all your tasty creations!