My hubby has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, but he’s super skinny, so i’m still trying to fatten him up at the same time as cutting sugar out of his diet. So cue the tasty sugar free, diabetic friendly recipes!
Up first, as it’s his favourite, is this Coffee & Walnut Cake recipe. Having played around with and looked into the various different sugar alternatives on the market, I found a mixture of Natvia (a natural Stavia product) and Canderel Sugarly (an artificial sweetener) works well.
- 175 g Stork
- 75 g Natvia Natural Stavia
- 75 g Canderel Sugarly Granulated artificial sweetener
- 2 tsp Espresso Powder
- Splash Boiling Water
- 70 ml Milk
- 3 x Eggs
- 175 g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 100 g Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Grease & line a loaf tin.
- Cream together the Stork, Natvia & Canderel.
- Slowly add the eggs and beat well.
- Place the espresso powder into a small jug and add a splash of boiling water to dissolve it and then top it up to 75ml with milk.
- Pour the espresso into the Stork, sweeteners & egg and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Then finally add the finely chopped walnut pieces
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and bake for around 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.