Large Chocolate Madeira Cake
This delicious basic Large Chocolate Madeira Cake is perfect as a celebration cake, as it is firm and dense, but still moist and fluffy!
For the cake
- 675 g Soft Butter Stork
- 675 g Caster Sugar
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 12 x Medium Eggs
- 650 g Good Quality Self-Raising Flour
- 200 g Good Quality Cocoa Powder
- 150 ml Milk
For the Buttercream
- 250 g Unsalted Butter softened
- 450 g Icing Sugar
- 50 g Good Quality Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tbsp Milk
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Grease & line 2x 10" round cake tins.
- Cream together the butter, oil and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Finally add the flour, cocoa powder and milk and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Carefully divide the batter evenly into the 2 tins, weighing the tins will help to get them as even as possible.
- Bake for around 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Turn out of the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and the softened butter until creamy and lump free.
- Then add the vanilla and milk. Add the milk 1 tbsp at a time until you achieve a good creamy consistency.
- Once the cakes are cool slice the crust off of each one so they are level and sandwich the 2 together with some of the buttercream and then use the rest to cover the cake ready for decorating or covering in fondant.
Made this recipe? Don't forget to tag me!@itssarahsibley I love to see all your tasty creations!